Saturday, July 6, 2013

Ragging the walls and more Cobblestones



 Round two on the floors at the new Reading store had Colin taking over completely after about 5 hours of squatting and shifting across the floor. I couldn't take it anymore! My knees and butt were worn out and any muscles found in the gluteus maximus were being rediscovered with a vengeance and they begged me to be kind and knock it off!! So at about 4 in the afternoon I switched to ragging the walls. At least I could stand and climb a ladder and when I got down low I could plop onto the ground and sit on my fanny.  This pic was taken by hubby as he stopped by to see our progress around dinner time...I think he was looking for his wife but she was no where to be found.
 While Colin continued on the slow going cobblestone creation I got to the ragging~there was a lot of ponytail flying and hands moving in quick motions.
 I ragged the walls with smears of Chalk Paint® in Country Grey and Paris Grey. Spritzed with a water bottle and then ragged the mixture across the wall doing two foot sections at a time.  You hardly use any paint doing this technique and it gives such an atmosphere~and its fun! 
 Hubby took his mom along for the ride and here she watches her daughter in law make something new look old. I am not quite sure she gets this idea...haha! 
 Colin and I were out the door so early and we were determined to get the cobblestones done. But we underestimated how time consuming it is to faux every cobble....and so after many hours of doing the squats I switched to the walls. This picture is so funny because I have my gym pants on backwards!! And I didn't even realize it...that is how much in the zone I get when I open a store. I am so focused on getting there and doing stuff that I will find myself wearing mismatched socks and in this case backwards pants!
 Anyway, the walls were coming along nicely~
 And quickly!
 Colin shows off the colors we used for the cobbles~French Linen and Paris Grey.


 This was our system when we worked together...see my "knee pad resting station" right there? Its a folded over drop cloth. Anyway,  I start by laying out the cobbles sponges after rolling them with paint, and then Colin follows along and adds smears and swipes of French linen and Graphite and then sponges it in.
 Very simplistic, but what a great effect when you are standing up looking at it~!

 I made a little rolling cart with a box to hold the paint so I could push it along the floor.  You have to think of ways to make life easier on jobs like this.

By the end of yesterday we got this far~half the floor and half of a wall...its getting there. But here is the kicker:  I scheduled our family vacation a year ago for this coming week, having no idea I would be opening a store. Ugh. So today I leave for a vacation and Colin and Justin are going to complete the store or do as much as they can. So til then both you and I will be in the dark and have to wait to see how it all comes out!!!! OMG!!! Can I walk away and give up this much control?  I will try my best~          
Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. LOL- GREAT timing, Amy. You KNOW you can trust those boys to do a good job! It is looking so good so far. Soon you will be up and running and this part will be over. Have fun and DON'T worry! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE what you're doing Amy, it all looks great, now go have a fun vacay and rest those muscles!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All looks great. LOVE the backwards pants!
    Have a great trip~

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is so much fun to watch from my comfy easy chair! What an incredible transformation! Have a wonderful vacation. I'll be right here waiting for the big reveal when you get back. Best, Beth C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walk away Amy....walk away.....enjoy the vacation. The guys will be fine. Very proud of all you are accomplishing.

    Have a good time!

    Janet xox
    The Empty Nest

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha!
    I may just go up and check on them today!
    See if they're doing it "right"....
    Wow, what a Lot of work!
    Can't wait to see the finish in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is looking so great, Amy! I am so impressed with your determination and stamina- I would have folded long ago- if I could have even straightened up again- ha! It is going to be fabulous!!

    xo
    Mimi@A House Romance

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy You know you have the best help in the world! Have a great vacation and do not even think about the shop! Ha!

    Truly the transformation is amazing and I am so glad you are matching the wall colors to the cobblestones (or vice versa)

    xoxo
    Karena
    Designer Series 2013

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see how it all turns out, Amy! Love the backwards pants! :) Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are like the Energizer Bunny, Amy! You set your mind on something and somehow make it happen each time. Totally amazing, girl! :) Have a fabulous time on your vacation. Lord knows, you deserve some kick-back time! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! I LOVE the walls, they look like very old walls I saw in France, stunning! The cobblestones are coming along, can't wait to see it don :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hopefully the vacation includes a massage session or two! The store is looking great and you know those boys of yours will 'do you proud'.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhhhhh! You're going on vacation! so funny, i bet it IS hard to let go of the controls, and walk away! On the other hand... hmmmmmm, might be kinda nice to let them finish up and give your butt a much needed break! The floors and wall are looking really great too!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would LOVE to see a ragging wall how-to post by you. I am interested in using Old Violet ASCP on my bedroom walls, and I think the ragging would work great, especially mixed with that lighter violet color we used in the workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO.. I love what you did with the walls. I am following in your footsteps and attempting my own faux concrete wall! Finally found an Annie Sloan supplier and picked out the country grey with the linen! I am just interested in how you did it exactly, and what kind of rag you used. I am not sure if I should do the whole wall in one color and go back over with the other, or do the 2 foot sections of both. Would love to hear from you! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you put a sealer on top of the finished cobblestones? I love the effect

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...